Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Memories

and sleepy memories at that. I was awoken by my cell phone ringing at an ungodly early hour. Okay, early for me (before 6:30 a.m.). I look at the caller ID and it's my dad so I answer only to discover he pocket dialed me!! I suppose that's a good thing otherwise a call that early could have meant trouble. Well, maybe he was calling my niece, whose birthday it is today. Either way, I was awake after a night of barely sleeping. I decided to treat myself to a latte for my morning coffee and a bit of reflection. The shell on top of the Polaroid is special. I was standing on a beach watching as the waves washed over my feet. I looked down and saw this shell but not before another wave came. I feared I had missed my opportunity to claim this shell. My fears were not realized as the wave deposited the shell upon my foot. It's not large but it's nearly perfect and the moment is one that I will treasure. I didn't bring home tons of shells but what I did bring home are special.

The candle was found in a little shop in Manteo on Roanoke Island (Outer Banks).


1 comment:

Cindi said...

this image made me warm all over. (which is welcome as it is chilly this morning) i absolutely understand finding - and fearing you lost - a perfect shell. shell collectors get it. ;-) and those special alone moments on a beach.

and i love that mug and the candle makes me want to light a candle! :)