Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Not So Continuing Saga

I have attempted to revisit my story and thinking that the dream segment might be too much. Writing a continuing story isn't easy and it doesn't help that I have been visited with a serious sinus headache. If I weren't sharing my unvarnished writings, I would most likely cross off the bit about dreaming. I haven't decided if I want this to be science fiction or a woman's coming to terms with life or a combination. If it is science fiction, how much of the story will be of the dreams she's confronted with and what happens when the dream is a future dream about a loved one? Can she change the future and prevent the dream or is the dream destined to play out while she watches on in helpless frustration? How would that affect her future relationships and what does she have to share with her gathering of friends?

Just some thoughts on my creative writing project. My sinuses are really hurting today. They woke me up an hour ago. I took some generic Claritin and Excedrin in hopes of kicking it in the butt but so far, the headache is kicking me. I wonder, if perhaps the headache can be worked into the story? I will be revisiting the story as my mind grapples with the plot line. Advancing a plot line beyond a short story is totally foreign to me.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling. I keep thinking I might revisit the bottle on the beach prompt I started writing months back. I got scared and dropped it. We'll see...

I'm so sorry. Don and I have been experiencing some sinus problems this week. Wonder what's going on.

Hope you are better soon!!!

Bonnie said...

That's a great prompt, Shirley. Would your story be about the people the bottle comes in contact with on its journey or the people who set the bottle on the journey? I have visions of a story much like The God's, they must be crazy crossed with Message in a bottle.... but with your unique style.

Anonymous said...

You've seen The Gods Must Be Crazy? We absolutely love the novelty of that movie. You can't decide whether it's a documentary or a slap-stick movie! We pull it out and watch it from time-to-time.

As for the writing prompt, I'm not sure. I locked up because I wasn't sure where I wanted to take it and didn't know how I would take it there when I did figure it out. I got cold feet, but I keep thinking I'm going to make myself readdress it soon. I love the potential that writing prompt has.

I'm reading in how-to books lately that it's not so relevant to have an outlined plot when you write the first draft...that the characters will reveal it to you.

Bonnie said...

I loved that movie. :) I don't own a copy but wish that I did.

That's sort of what the ramblings are the beginnings of... an outline of my thoughts that will hopefully take more shape. I've never been good at writing from the traditional outline, though.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I think you start with a general idea of where you want to go with it, but I had always thought you had to have all the answers before you start writing. I'm now seeing that first draft in a new light. Love this reference book I am reading. Steven King, in his book about writing, says basically the same thing...an idea of where you might want to go but the first draft is just getting it all down on paper and then you go back and clean it up...like laying a crumb layer of icing on a cake before putting on the final coating, I suppose.

Anonymous said...

I hope your headache is better. My sinus headaches turn into migraines and I have been fighting one today. I know it is the weather. I also know how painful and debilitating it can be. Feel better.

Love the writing.

Anonymous said...

I love reading about how people get started with writing - I have a story that has been rambling around in my head for years but just not sure how to start or where to go with it . . .

Hmmm

Cindi said...

i've always thought, too, that you have to have the whole story laid out (at least in outline form) before you can start.
but you would think i'd know better. my favorite writing teacher emphasized free writing - just letting your thoughts flow w/the pen and see where it takes you. i quite often ended up with something totally different that I started out to write.
and it was usually better.