Thursday, July 17, 2008

Country Thunder

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I happily attended Country Thunder on its opening day in Twin Lakes, Wisconsin. Despite getting there two hours early, getting lawn seats up close was not possible. Those that camp spend the night in line and make what is referred to as "The Annual Lawn Chair Race". It was hot, so very hot but a storm somewhere north of us brought cooler temps. I had a blast with M.

First act, Fisher Stevenson. He had the unenviable luck to open as everybody was still struggling to stake out their little piece of real estate and find some water that cost way too much. After his show, he signed autographs. M had won a t-shirt from our local country station, who had a spin wheel set-up. She had it signed (not sharing that photo of M).

P1050694copy

Did I mention it was in the mid-nineties and high humidity?

Next, Laura Bryna  took the stage. She has an endearing quality about her. Enjoyed her set very much. Listen for her song, Make A Wish as it has been chosen to be the theme song for the Make-A-Wish foundation. For some reason, I did not take any photos during her set but M got a wonderful autograph for her t-shirt.

I've not looked at all my photos yet. They are all just snapshots but they are my snapshots. Lady Antebellum was next and they are fabulous. If they stick together, I see big things in their future. Joe Nichols took stage next and what can you say, he was Joe Nichols. I was pleasantly surprised that I liked Taylor Swift's set. She is a performer in every sense of the word. Carrie Underwood was the headline act.

Before I end, I must share Taylor Swift with her glittery, pink guitar. It's hard to believe she is only 18.

P1050728copy

It was a long night. Didn't get home until almost 2am thanks to poor traffic flow leaving the place. Got stuck in the mud and two nice guys pushed us out. Looked like others found that spot, too. It was deep, hidden in the tall grasses and if not for a pedestrian that cut out in front of the car, we might have made it through with forward momentum. An adventure, right? Thanks to the two that helped get us unstuck!! Hope you didn't get too muddy.

Despite the huge drinkfest, party atmosphere, already thinking ahead to next year's event!! It really is a bargain to see so many big name country acts and a bunch of newcomers all in one day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a blast!

Anonymous said...

It reminds me of when I worked at the Grand Old Opry/Opryland and it was Fanfair week. So many performers all together at once. The crowds use to kill me, as much as the heat.

This sounded like a nice night. Glad you enjoyed it. It was fun seeing Taylor's set and pink guitar. Hannah would have been in heaven!

Bonnie said...

Yep, thanks Shirley.

Eileen, some day, I may be one of those nuts at Fanfair week!!

Taylor Swift was excellent!!