Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Happiness In Suffering


I scribbled this today and it is in no way proper brush strokes but it's a start. The word for suffering (top) is really off but I'm sharing anyway. I lift when I should press. I use my elbow when I should use my wrist. A work in progress as I try to teach myself Chinese/Japanese calligraphy from a book.

It means happiness in suffering. A reminder to myself, and perhaps you, to look at the bright side of life even in the midst of a bad time. Look for the hidden happiness.

*Note: The book I am using is Chinese Calligraphy Made Easy by Rebecca Yue
Five styles of Chinese Calligraphy can be found here. I am using Hsing Shu style but may vary and of course, my writing leaves much to be desired.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful calligraphy & thoughts.

It's difficult for many to see their way out of their darkness. Suffering tends to cloud one's judgment.

"Happiness in suffering" ... very thoughtful... I'll borrow this phrase and pass it on to someone else. Thx!

blue said...

beaut...super smiling now I read your Chinese calligraphy! I have this book among my collection too...a fantastic book by a great teacher...good choice Bonnie, and loving watching your practice...

Bonnie said...

Thank you photofool.

Blue, thank you. You are an inspiration to me.